4.08.2009

Wedding Place Card Holder / Favor Tutorial

Need a cute, fun, inexpensive idea for wedding favors/place card holders?

These fun embellished clothespin magnets are the perfect idea; they're super simple to put together and look great!
(watch for them on theknot.com's upcoming do-it-yourself blog! Link to follow)

Also, if you're not keen on doing-it yourself or don't have the time, I'd be happy to put together a custom order for you. Check out my etsy shop- katskrafts.etsy.com

Materials Needed:

Clothespins

Magnets

Mod Podge

Diamond Glaze (or hot glue)

Decorative paper

Ink Pad

Ribbon (optional)

Scissors/paper trimmer

Small foam brush

Step 1

Trim decorative paper to just smaller than clothespin side. You will need 2 strips of paper for each clothespin. Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge along each side of the clothespin (using the foam brush) and adhere the paper to it, pressing out any air bubbles.

Step 2

Using an ink pad and a light touch, distress the outer edges of the clothespin. Allow to dry.

Step 3

Spread another thin layer of Mod Podge over the clothespin sides, to seal, making sure to cover all of the paper edges. Allow to dry. Apply a second coat, if desired.

Step 4

Adhere the magnet to the back side of the clothespin using Diamond Glaze (recommended) or hot glue. Press firmly until the magnet is secure, or the magnet will be attracted to the metal of the spring and may rip your paper. The best position for ease of use as a magnet is just above the spring. Neodymium magnets offer the strongest pull and can be ordered online from many reputable sellers.

Step 5

Tie ribbon onto the clothespin, or embellish any way you see fit! (Other neat ideas include rhinestones, a monogram, or silk flower with button center.) These work wonderfully as place card holders and are a fabulously fun and functional wedding favor!


1 comment:

E said...

Hi I actually found your website from the knot link :) I love this!!! I'm doing a Polaroid photo guestbook at my wedding and would like to make a few of this to clip pictures up on at the table.

Thanks so much for the wonderful idea!! Also I have to say I love your programs as well, to cute if I hadn't already started making mine I would definitely consider ordering from you. I'm working on a post on my blog about wedding ideas and I will definitely link to you.

One quick question ~ Where do you recommend getting the paper for the clothespins? Also any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!